Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Thoughts on Practice with David Keil

David (my Mysore teacher) says it's his job not to believe the stories we tell ourselves.

It's a good thing too because I've collected lots of stories over the years about why I will never do x, y, or z pose. Most of the stories are just excuses for me not to try. I've stopped giving David my excuses because by now I know what will happen. He never disagrees with my stories, just listens, smiles and says "Ok, let's just try this then." We set up some part of a pose and then sooner or later I'm doing it without realizing it.

Now, I've stopped telling myself the stories a least for those 5 days that I'm practicing with David. I know enough to know that anything is possible even if I can't see how it will happen. Slowly, I'm starting to carry this lesson off the mat and into the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment